Memorial United Church of Christ
The office manager at Memorial United Church of Christ is the welcoming face and voice of the congregation for members, guests and the community at large. This person is responsible for providing a wide range of administrative services to the congregation and is a vital communication hub for Memorial. This position requires someone who has demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communications and can exercise discretion, initiative, judgment, time-management and organization and who has strong technical skills. The ability to keep confidences is an important part of this job.
- Be the welcoming face of Memorial UCC
- Help manage church web site and social media channels. Add events to website home page.
- Be part of a team that develops and implements a communications strategy for the congregation.
- Help prepare weekly email newsletter and the monthly printed newsletter for those without email.
- Maintain church calendar on web and in print. Prepare lists of worship teams for web and in print.
- Gather material for annual report, print and distribute.
- Design and prepare documents for special events
- Check mail, daily emails and phone calls.
Materials for worship
- Prepare bulletins using order of worship received from the pastor. Ask the pastor to edit. Print bulletins.
- Prepare bulletin inserts as needed, print and insert.
- Send reminders to liturgists, ushers, communion preparer, sound room staff and fellowship hosts.
- Design and prepare special bulletins to include Holy Week, Funerals, etc.
- Maintain membership and visitor data
- Maintain and manage Church Windows database directory, stewardship mailing list, groups/classes
- Keep records of visitors, send notes to first time visitors via regular mail or email. Make name badges as requested.
- Help manage volunteer lists for church activities as needed
- Produce and update membership directory as needed
- Order supplies for office and church.
- Arrange for maintenance of copier/computers
- Assist with deliveries, sprinkler system maintenance, fire extinguisher inspections, etc.
- Fill out payment slips to attach to invoices
- Manage requests for building use/rental.
- Maintain list of vendors used for routine inspections/ maintenance activities.
- Assist pastor, faith development director, music director, other staff, church council, trustees, committee chairs, volunteers as needed.
Other duties as assigned
High school degree or equivalent. Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent in interpersonal skills, ability to solve problems and manage daily tasks in a courteous, calm, confidential, and professional manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Publisher
- Experience with social media and website content management.
- Good writing ability.
- Able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Committed to continuous learning of skills and techniques
Supervised on a daily basis by the Pastor.
9 a.m. to noon, Tuesday through Friday, ranging from 12-15 hours/week, although there are times when there are some additional hours.
Pay and Benefits
Hourly position, pay in the range of $16- $20 per hour. Vacation, sick leave and holiday pay prorated based on hours/week worked.
New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, Christmas Day and the day after. When any of these holidays fall on a Sunday, the employee will have an option for a different day off.
Terms of Employment
Memorial UCC is an “at-will” employer. The employment arrangement may be terminated by either party with two week’s notice. Memorial UCC reserves the right to terminate employment at any time for good cause.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with three letters of reference to Pastor Kris Gorton by Friday, November 1, 2019. Email applications are welcome. This job is not open to members or active participants in the Memorial UCC congregation.
Pastor Kris Gorton, Memorial United Church of Christ, 5705 Lacy Rd., Fitchburg, WI 53711.
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone—608-273-1008
Updated October 15, 2019